How Long Do Fan Coil Units Last?
Fan Coil units are designed to operate for 20 years according to manufacturer specifications. Studies found many risks associated with fan coil systems exceeding 20 years of lifespan.
Fan Coils are the most commonly installed HVAC systems in Toronto’s low rise & high rise residential condo buildings. Fan coils may come in horizontal & vertical positions.
Who Is Responsible For Fan Coils In Condos?
Fan Coil systems are typically the owner’s responsibility when it comes to emergency repair or replacement. To learn more about your condo responsibilities please contact your property manager or refer to condo bylaws.
Fan coil units are designed with 7 critical components.
1. Fan Motor Assembly
3. Drain Pan
4. Supply & Return Shut-Off Valves
5. Control Board
7. Cabinet & Pipe Insulation
Although Fan Coil Units are independent systems in each apartment, they are still connected to the building boiler & chiller systems. Central HVAC systems in your building heat or cool water & distribute the water through a vertical riser pipe network to individual fan coil units.
Fan Coils units can be designed with 2 pipe or 4 pipe configurations. 2-pipe systems can only provide heating or cooling whereas 4-pipe fan coil units are equipped to provide both heating & cooling at any time of the year as long as central HVAC systems are activated. The majority of buildings in Toronto use 2 pipe fan coil units.
Our former property manager recommended us with 2 HVAC companies but after seeing the high rating of Home Trade Standards on Google reviews and HomeStars, we decided to give HTS a call. Home Trade Standards was wonderful, and he was quick to answer our texts. The technician Mike did an amazing job installing 2 of our fan coil units. They were friendly, polite and knowledgeable. We are very pleased to receive excellent customer service from Home Trade Standards!!Loc P.
Why Should I Replace My Fan Coil Unit?
Canadians spend 90% of their time indoors, especially during the winter season. Older fan coil units can negatively impact a healthy indoor air environment. Understanding the impacts of bad indoor air will allow condominium owners, managers, tenants & landlords to make the right decisions about older HVAC systems in your condo.
How Does Your Fan Coil Cause Serious Health & Safety Issues?
Older Fan Coils contain fiberglass insulation and when they become wet or moist from condensation, they provide an ideal environment for mould & spores to grow & multiply. Mould growth inside the fan coil cabinet will release airborne particles into the suite and when inhaled, the particles can result in long-term health problems such as asthma, chronic sinusitis, coughing, and severe allergy.
Water Damage & Liability Results In Legal Costs
According to TD Insurance, more than 40% of Condo Insurance Claims are due to Flooding In Condos in recent years. These issues can occur more often in order fan coil systems. Water damage in older condos can cause higher building insurance as well as liability risks for property managers and residents in the building.
Before & After Fan Coil Replacement
What a Brend New Fan Coil Retrofit Offer
- The entire cabinet interior insulation, all old components, including coil, actuator, motor, blower housing assembly, drain pan & electronics will be removed & replaced with brand new parts & durable plumbing material.
- Brand New Supply & Return 1/2 “ Safety shut-off valves will be installed (If it is not corporation responsibility*)
- New energy-efficient motor ECM Variable Speed Technology will be installed for energy saving & lower noise levels.
- New 24V Suite Pro Digital Honeywell Thermostat will be installed at the same location as your previous thermostat.
- Optional items such as Access Panel Doors & Grilles With Dampers can be installed upon request.
- New electronics & wiring allow Smart Thermostat Compatibility as an added feature to your new system. If you are interested in NEST or Ecobee products, simply ask us to bring you the right model. We can install and provide training upon request.
- Better Air Flow & Air Circulation Throughout your condo.
- Get a new status certificate from your property manager. You can now claim a newly installed fan coil system on your status certificate. This will distinguish your suit from your neighbours for potential future or existing buyers.
If your building is older than 20 years old, please contact us directly to schedule an appointment for an onsite engineering assessment. We work closely with condo board members and residents to deliver the most reliable Condo HVAC Services in Toronto & GTA Area.